Monday, April 12, 2010

The simplest explanation

I've wondered for quite some time why media coverage of the House of Commons has centred so regularly on Question Period to the exclusion of other debates which seem to involve a far greater likelihood of MPs saying something interesting. But I'll be hoping the answer is as simple and mundane as David Akin suggests, since there won't be any excuse anymore:
For the first time in Canadian history, reporters covering the proceedings in the House of Commons today will find power outlets near their seats in the Commons press gallery, above the Speakers chair. You may think this is trivial but I think this is a momentous thing. Having a power outlet here means you can stay in the House of Commons and keep enough juice in your portable computer to cover those all-night "take-note" debates. You may think I'm being facetious but I"m not. While there's no doubt that media coverage often focuses on the antics of Question Period, I suspect some reporters would spend more time in the House -- and in committee rooms -- covering the serious business of this place if they could stay electronically tied to their desks.

No comments:

Post a Comment